Basic Cabbage Soup
(Ottawa, Ontario, Canada)
This basic cabbage soup fits the diets guidelines perfectly, but I find it tastes more like minestrone
Basic Cabbage Soup Recipe
*If no pot large enough, divide in half and use 2 pots.
- 4 teaspoons of olive oil (or canola)
- 2 large Spanish onions, chopped
- Approx. 30 large baby carrots or 3 to 4 whole carrots, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 4 stalks of celery, chopped
- 10 oz can Mushrooms, stem and pieces,
- About ¾ of a head of cabbage, chopped
- 1 cans (28 Ounces) of diced tomatoes with Italian seasoning
- 2 cups of v8 v-go (or regular v8, however v-go makes a more flavorful base)
- One package of Lipton onion soup mix
- 1 to 2 cubes of bouillon or stock, preferably beef
- 12 cups of water
- Approx 5 teaspoons of salt (better low-sodium)
- Approx 4 teaspoons of black pepper*
- Approx 2 teaspoons of curry*
- Optional, fresh grated parmesan.
*Season to taste, garlic or parsley or other seasonings can be used.
1. Heat olive oil in large pot at medium high heat, when fully heated, add onions, and sauté for about 2-3 minutes.
2. Add carrots, mixing well, sauté for about 2 minute.
3. Add celery and green peppers mixing in with onions and carrots, sauté for about 1 minute, (if using mushrooms add now and sauté for another minute).
4. Add half the salt and half the curry and half the pepper at this point, mixing well.
5. Add chopped cabbage mixing very well and sauté for about 1 to 3 minutes.
6. Add canned tomatoes, including liquid, mixing well.
7. When liquid begins to bubble add v8.
8. When begins to simmer again, add water, mix well.
9. Cover and let begin simmering, add Lipton soup mix, and stock cubes, stirring well, as well as add the rest of your seasonings.
10. Cover, leaving a small gap for steam escape, and bring to a simmer over medium low heat. Let simmer for 2 hours stirring regularly.
11. Let cool, covered, to room temperature before storing and refrigerating.
Hope you enjoy!
12. Garnish with fresh grated Parmesan and enjoy.
thank you for this wonderful recipe. I had however to reduce the salt amount in this recipe because 10 teaspoon of salt were way too much for weight loss. The better option would be to use low-sodium seasoning.
All the best,